The Language of Fashion: Fashion Dictionary scans Blouses thru Caps
The illustrated “blouses” section was pretty interesting, especially since I sell vintage clothes. It’s nice to have precise definitions, general illustrations on how the garment was worn, and approximate dates for when the look was fashionable!
I admit, I’m reading this fashion dictionary fully while I scan it.
Also illustrated in this set of scans:
- boyish bobs
- Irene Castle bob (since this book was published in 1939, just barely as World War II was starting, it mentions that she was popular before The World War – referring to World War I).
- 19th century basque bodice
- Bonnets: 1865, Cabriolet Bonnet 1810, 19th century coal scuttle bonnet, 1846 poke bonnet, Salvation Army Bonnet (adaptation 1938), mid-19th century slat bonnet, and early 19th century sun bonnet.
- Boots: 1625, early Greek buskins, 17th century French fall boots, Cavalier boots 1625, Top boots 1789…
- Bouffant skirt 1930s
- 4 different types of braids
- 20th Century Bretelles
- Brother and Sister clothes
- 18th century bouffant
- Bust extender 1909
- Bust forms 1938
- 19th century bustle silhouette
- Cabochon shapes, buckram
Whew- that is quite a lot!