Edwardian Cooking Advice and MATERNITY CORSET ADS
Honestly, the best thing about these pages from the July 1913 issue of the Modern Priscilla magazine are the advertisements. I think I lost brain cells even skimming all the Edwardian cooking and housekeeping advice. It’s probably why I’m such a bad cook- this kind of writing bores me to tears. These included tips for:
- keeping white enamel clean
- drying lace curtains
- using egg shells to clean the inside of glass bottles
- using paraffin instead of butter to line cake pans for a non-stick effect
- tips for darning stockings
- how to stitch lace to a garment so that it may be easily removed (because the Edwardians were all about lace)
- how to create a handy work stand
- … and more household tips for women!
The advertisements are cool though! These pages contained a small ad for maternity corsets, which I found particularly interesting.
Also advertised were canned sardines, The Alaska Freezer, Jello, Coffee Jelly, Maternity Apparel, Karo Syrup, Hair Dye, and a variety of “Make Money from Home” ads.